Designing Effective Business Websites
Thanks to the increasing the number of websites and blogs, the web has redefined the way people live, communicate and play. These websites have become tools for communications, as platforms for information dissemination and some work for fun and pleasure. Unfortunately, not all websites are created the same. Today, the web is also home to ugly, atrocious and often horrendous websites. You’ll know these websites when you see them- bad and uninspiring design, dated and incorrect information posted and messy pages. Don’t fall into this trend- here are some pointers to keep in mind when designing an effective small business website.
- Register a personal and catchy domain name. Your web address forms part of your identity, and can also help boost your brand. Don’t go for complicated and long domain names; look for short and catchy domain names. And if possible, sign up for a dot (.) org domain name for added authority.
- Provide site visitors with a clear website description. Just like a brick-and-mortar store; make sure that the website is friendly and highly accessible. First-time visitors should instantly know the nature of your business and other information related to your website.
- Website should be easy to navigate. Provide the website with site map, a listing of links and pages that they can click and other navigational tools that can simplify the browsing activity. If there are multiple pages that are displayed on the side bar or home page, make sure you provide a drop-down feature so they can check out the sub-content for every pages.
- Provide a contact info page. Increase conversions and attract new customers by providing your contact information, and displaying this box in an easy-to-spot area. Most internet users only have a few minutes to browse a site, thus they should easily find the ‘Contact Us’ box in just a few clicks. Put the ‘Contact Us’ button or box on the top right corner of the site’s homepage. Also, provide a variety of contact information including a landline, e-mail and even a physical address of your small business.
- Keep the homepage and site pages refreshed using fresh and compelling content. You want your site visitors to stay, browse and check what you are offering. And to ensure their stay in your website, you need to give them fresh, relevant and helpful content to read. Give them something that they can use so they will come back and view your site as an authority website.
- Know your SEO, and use it well. Posting compelling and helpful content and listing premium products will go to waste if internet users will not find your site. Search engine optimization or SEO need not be complicated- just focus on the use of the right keywords and density, title and linking with other sites. In fact, you don’t need to work with SEO pros just to get the job done. You can do it alone using the SEO resources online, and still get the results!
- End with a call to action. It’s critical that you engage your site visitors and one way to make it happen is to end content with a call to action. Inspire them to act or work that will be advantageous to your business. You can tell them to sign up for a free newsletter, to send in comments and try a free product. And make sure that the call to action invites attention- perhaps you can underline the words, or highlight the text.
- Show off customer testimonials and reviews. If there are satisfied customers who have shared positive words about your business, flaunt it! Showing off customer testimonials is one way to build trust and establish your reputation. But don’t dare post fabricated testimonials- consumers are now informed and they can see through these cheap tactics.
- Get a secure webhosting service. A small business website should be secure and protected from malicious attacks and hacking. And to ensure its protection, you’ll need to sign up a secure webhosting service. The company should provide 24/7 technical support in case hacks and security breaches are noted.
- Impress using responsive website design. How you design your website is also a factor in engaging potential customers. In online marketing, you need to attract their attention and keep them within the site’s pages to promote activities. Give them reasons to stay, and do it by responsibly designing the site using fresh content, short paragraphs and pleasing colors.