Do SEO the Right Way
Every small business owner wants his business to get the attention and traffic online. Generating visits is the first step towards engaging potential customers and clients in the hope of convincing them to select the products and services, or sign up for an idea. Although it’s easy to say that search engine traffic will come, the actual setting up of websites and waiting for site visitors can be a painful and frustrating experience. With thousands of similarly-themed websites competing for attention (and for potential inquiries and sales), the average website owner is left with few or no site visitors.
So what should a business owner do? It’s called SEO or search engine optimization, a strategy to position your website, get a better ranking on search engine results pages and get the desired traffic. But implementing SEO for small business website is easier said than done. For maximum efficiency and quantifiable results, pay attention to the following recommendations.
- Know your online standing. The strategies you’ll adopt will depend on your specific needs, thus it pays to know first your online standing and discover how you fare against the competition. Assess your online reputation by installing the Google and Alexa tools to monitor ranking and authority.
- Draw a list of keywords and use them. Keywords are the base for Google search, so you’ll need to invest in appropriate use and distribution of keywords. Keywords should be used everywhere, but in a responsible manner. Learn how to use keywords within content, on URLs, image names and titles.
- Post a site map. Don’t just plan your website for potential customers and clients; plan it for search engine spiders as well. A site map can help that will list all pages, and linked as well to all the top pages within the website. Also, make sure that the site is easy to navigate.
- Link up! Linking with other high authority website is a must for all site owners. But aside from external linking, it’s also best to invest in internal linking. This means linking your content to the archives, and using keyword-laden anchor text available. Just like in keyword use, responsible linking is best.
- Go slow on Flash. There’s no denying that Flash is great and attractive, and an asset for game developers. But when it comes to effective SEO implementation, you need to go slow on Flash since you’ll have a hard time linking to a page.
- Put keywords on posted images. Keywords aren’t just best for contents and titles. You can also increase the chances of being picked up Google spiders by adding related keywords to your images. This can be done by inserting the ‘ALT’ tag to include a description with keywords.
- Update and freshen up your content. The best-ranked and highly trafficked websites are those with fresh and relevant content. Articles and stories should be useful so website visitors should return to the site, and see your website as an authority. You can add a blog section, or provide them with frequent updates about products and services.
- Engage through social media. Sometimes, you need to get out of the website and tap into social media to connect with more potential customers and clients. Create a Facebook or Twitter account, and feed your customer base with information and posts through these media. If the posts or content are helpful and relevant, readers can re-tweet or share thus expanding your reach online.
Implementing SEO for your website takes a lot of work and patience. Results can’t be rushed, but its adoption can make a difference in making your website a player online.